Bitter kola is well-known for its medicinal properties, with the seeds, nuts, and bark being used to treat a variety of ailments.
Garcinia kola (bitter kola), also known as African wonder nut, is a flowering plant that grows in coastal rainforests in the south-western and south-eastern parts of Nigeria, as well as in Cameroon, Côte d’Ivoire, Ghana, Liberia, Gabon, and a few other Countries in Africa.
Below are the Health benefits of Bitter kola:
- Immunity: Immunity is the ability to protect yourself from harm. Bitter kola affects a number of body regulatory systems, including the immune system. It helps the body respond to stress while also acting as an anti-infective.
- Treatment for cold and fever: Bitter kola relieves chest colds and prevents colds altogether by enlarging the alveolar sac and duct.
- For Healthy lungs: Saponin, an antioxidant, is found in Garcinia kola. It has cleansing and detoxifying properties. As a result, the lungs’ function is improved by widening the alveolar ducts and sacs, which improves the fiber in the lungs’ tissue. It has a high antioxidant content, which is beneficial to a healthy body.
- Aids in Pregnancy: Bitter kola, according, to popular belief has been said to be beneficial and effective for pregnant women, as it aids in the relief of nausea and vomiting, improves the health of the uterus, provides power to the expectant mother, and also normalizes blood circulation.
- Malaria treatment: Bitter kola is thought to have antimalarial properties due to its chemical makeup. Kolaviron, a natural antioxidant and anti-inflammatory phytochemical with antimalarial effects, is found in it.
- Diabetes miletus: Bitter kola seeds are known to have the ability to reduce blood glucose, making it a possible cure for diabetes miletus.
- Weight Loss: Bitter kola is a healthy appetite suppressant and a great thirst stimulant, which aids in weight loss because the body needs a decreased intake of food and a large intake of water to get rid of excess fat and remain healthy.
- Treatment of Glaucoma: A lot of scientists discovered that using an eye drop made from a garcinia kola extract on a regular basis can help treat glaucoma.
- Helps in Sexual dysfunction: Garcinia kola (bitter kola) has been shown to have aphrodisiac effects (causes or increases sexual desire) in men, and is thus used to treat erectile dysfunction.
- Osteoarthritis: Osteoarthritis (OA) is a form of arthritis that affects the joints. Bitter kola is a disease control that can help people with osteoarthritis. Garcinia kola tends to have important analgesic/anti-inflammatory effects on patients with knee osteoarthritis, according to research. As a result, garcinia kola is believed to be a potential osteoarthritis disease activity modifier with a high chance of effectiveness. It aids in the treatment of inflammation, discomfort, and stiff joints. A joint injury, obesity, aging, or genetic factors may all contribute to arthritis and painful symptoms. As a result, consuming this medicinal plant will aid in the treatment of all of these issues. As a result, consuming this medicinal plant will assist in resolving all of these issues and curing them at their origin.
- Poison-Resistant: When consumed together, the bark and seed aid in the detoxification of the human body during food poisoning. Because of its cleansing properties, the saponin present in bitter kola is used as a liver tonic, assisting in gall bladder functions.
- Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs): (STIs) are diseases that are spread by sexual contact Bitter kola has antibacterial properties in both its seed and leaf. Staphylococcus aureus, Escherichia coli, Salmonella typhi, and Streptococcus pyrogens have all been clinically isolated, according to scientists.