According to JAMB, Candidates Without a SIM Card are Equally Qualified to Register for the 2021 UTME Exam

14
According to JAMB, Candidates Without a SIM Card are Equally Qualified to Register for the 2021 UTME Exam

The JAMB has stated that it is seeking permission from the federal government to allow candidates without a SIM card to register for the UTME/DE in 2021.

Prof Ishaq Oloyede, the JAMB Registrar, stated this in Abuja on Friday during a virtual meeting with owners of JAMB Approved CBT Centres, service providers, and other stakeholders to kickstart registration for the 2021 UTME/DE review.

The JAMB director explained that the exemption is only being pursued for candidates who want to apply for this year’s exams but have never purchased a SIM card before.

Oloyede also stated that discussions have begun with Dr. Isa Pantami, Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, to offer a conditioned waiver to an estimated 20% of candidates who do not have a SIM card.

The federal government, through the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), recently suspended sales, registration, and activation of new SIM cards in 2019 to allow for an audit of the Subscriber Registration Database.

The NCC stated that the suspension it imposed on Mobile Network Operators (MNOs) would remain in effect until the audit was completed.

Prof Oloyede, on the other hand, advised candidates who would need new SIM cards in order to register:

“We informed the National Communication Commission (NCC), approached the Minister of Communication and Digital Economy, and we are optimistic that we will be given a waiver, subject to the candidates meeting certain conditions.

“Not all of the candidates are without a sim; 80 percent of the candidates already have a number; we are talking about the remaining 20%, and if we are lucky enough to receive the minister’s waiver through the NCC, we will go ahead and ensure full compliance with the conditionalities because it is in our national interest that the items that have been placed in place should be allowed to proliferate.

ALSO READ: JAMB officially postpones the 2021 UTME and sets a new exam date.

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) announced on Wednesday that registration for the Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination and Direct Entry examination would begin on Thursday, April 8th, as previously stated by Worldpaddy.

The selling of forms will come to an end, according to the JAMB Head of Public Affairs and Protocol, Dr Fabian Benjamin, who issued a statement.

He also mentioned that the UTME will take place from Saturday, June 5th to Saturday, June 19th, 2021.

Before they can register for the exams, candidates must have their National Identity Number (NIN), which is one of the criteria for this year’s registration process.

WORLDPADDY